Job Title: Digital Technical Officer (12 month fixed term contract with the possibility of a 3 month extension)
Salary: Scale 6 - £25,927 - £27,514
Benefits: Local Government Pension Scheme, generous annual leave, staff discounts
Our culture and values
We like our staff to be proactive and innovative. Being customer focused and willing to maximise your potential at work are expected. We all work together to achieve the very best for our residents which sometimes means getting involved in projects and trying new tasks outside of your day-to-day job role. We love our staff to suggest new ideas and to have enthusiasm to try out new experiences.
We are busy creating a Council for the future and this is your chance to join our ambitious, customer focussed Digital Services Team during a time of change and transformation.
As our Digital Technical Officer, you will work across a range of digital projects and service optimisation improvements.
You will help us build self-service user journeys through the ‘govService’ Customer Experience Platform. The aim of the 'govService' solution is to improve customer experiences when dealing with the council and streamline processes to enhance efficiency. Working specifically on this project, you will be tasked with reviewing processes, implementing online forms and workflow, as well as developing new online forms which can integrate into back office systems. We expect you to develop expert knowledge of the platform and progress a development plan aligned to the council's transformation programme.
The role will require you to form good working relationships with departments to understand their business requirements and support them through the implementation of the 'govService' solution. You will manage development work and projects, working with teams and external suppliers to:
- Maintain, extend and enhance existing corporate applications
- Develop integrations between key corporate systems
- Contribute to the delivery of projects in an agile environment, ensuring all development projects are successfully completed
You must be a dynamic and fantastic team player, possess excellent communication skills and be committed to continually improving yourself and our services. You will also be motivated by the challenge of delivering significant customer and business benefits across the council.
The role is within our Digital Services Team that is responsible for managing and improving the council's digital resources, which includes a website, intranet and a wide range of other web applications. Day-to-day you will support the Digital Services Team in building accessible services by creating, adapting and maintaining digital services, solving technical problems and continually looking for ways to improve efficiency and experience using new tools and techniques.
Above all, you will want to make the Rochford District better, which may sometimes involve challenging the status quo. So, if you are passionate about digital products and believe in our vision of delivering amazing digital services that will help change people’s lives, then this job is for you.
Key knowledge, skills and experience required
- Excellent knowledge and experience of developing digital services and processes, ideally using ‘govService’ software but full training will be available
- Robust knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Solid experience of using databases and Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Skilled at communicating reasoning, ideas and technical problems using non-technical language
- Must be detail-oriented and organised but also creative and innovative in finding solutions to complex problems
- Task-focused - for us it is about getting the job done, rather than watching the clock
- Committed to quality - whether it is robust code or a well-written email, we never cut corners
Further details can be found in the job description and person specification.
Please note, this is a 12 month Fixed Term Contract with the possibility of a 3 month extension
Previous applicants need not apply.
For an informal chat please contact Luke Mackenzie on 01702 318007.
How to apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
It is our policy that if you have not heard back within 3 weeks of the closing date you should assume that you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.